I can immediately start keybinding new spells or abilities to keys where similar spells in other games used to be. My cure poison / remove disease or curse button has been the same for over a decade now, and has been used in dozens of games all the way back to Ultima Online (An Nox, anyone?). This is not the case with one particular spell, it has been with all abilities, spells, weapons and units in all different games.
There have been very few innovative games that have offered an engaging experience. For this reason, I often get bored with "new" games very quickly. I know what to look for, how things work and where and what I need to do to excel in the game. Quickly familiarizing myself with the ins and outs of these games while never experiencing the most fun part of these games - being a newbie, learning, and exploring the game.
Cube WorldIt is for these reasons that I am very excited to have downloaded and started playing Cube World. Cube World is a voxel-based role-playing game that does exactly what it claims - it offers an infinite, colourful, procedurally generated world, full of adventures, monsters, and mysteries.
How does Cube World differ from the bunch, you might ask. Well, it offers:
- A procedurally generated, infinite world, with no borders in all directions.
- No artificial borders, if you can see it, you can go to it.
- Infinite character progression - no level or skill caps.
- Creatures and dungeons scale with your level so the game has a consistent difficulty and remains a challenge.
- Action-based combat requires skilful targeting, aiming, and dodging.
- All players can tame a pet companion, pets includes most animals and some monsters.
- Crafting and customization of weapons lets you create the look of your weapon at the voxel level.
- Connect to a friend's private server or host your own and join with your single-player character.
A view of the map.
Exploration and discovery in this game is unparalleled and is by far my favourite feature of Cube World. You never know what's ahead of you, or what might be coming your way. The difficulty of the game is also spot on - not so easy that you don't fear the monsters, and not so difficult that the game becomes frustrating to play.
Cube World was released this week in public alpha status, and is far from complete at this time. Though the game appears to be rock solid, there are many more creative features and concepts that are going to be coming to the game in the coming days.
There is a lot of hype around the game right now, and so many people have tried to purchase and download the game this week, the demand was crashing the download and registration servers. Everything appears to be up and running smoothly now, so go ahead and buy a copy of this game while you still can.